How To Get PR In Canada After Study

Canada has been the hot destination for numerous international students across the world for a very long time. Students select Canada for two primary reasons: 1) Education and 2)Acquiring permanent residence. Being well acquainted with Canada’s atmosphere during the education period makes a student want to stay longer in that surroundings and this makes him/her try for permanent residency. However, there are different ways and options through which students can apply for permanent residence in Canada after education. Below, some of the most comfortable options to explore are given. In this article, we will explain, how to get pr in Canada after study.

1) Express Entry to Get PR In Canada

Express entry is the most recognized economic immigration system to get PR in Canada that started in 2015. The students who have completed their post-secondary education from Canada’s institutions are invited to apply for the express entry pool based on their CSR (Comprehensive ranking system) scores. The process followed is:

  • Eligible candidates should enter themselves in the Express Entry pool.
  • A CSR score is assigned to the candidate after the CSR examination. 
  • Only the top-ranked candidates are nominated for further procedure and are invited to apply for the Express Entry immigration procedure. 
  • This selection of the student is done in draws and takes place at an interval of 2-3 weeks.
  • The selected students must submit a completed application within 60 days, after which the government will complete the process within 6 months.
  • The main areas required for the smooth availability of permanent residence are CSR scores, work experience, and language skills.

2) Canadian Experience Class to Get PR In Canada

The Canadian Experience Class is one of the most popular ways to begin the process of Canadian immigration for international students. This procedure is also the easiest gateway for students who have had at least one year of work experience in Canada after or during their studies. It is an immigration program often chosen by people who have worked for a year in Canada—getting a job after a master’s also becomes easy as the student obtains a work permit. However, for CEC procedures also CSR scores and language ability skills are considered. Another thing to keep in mind while applying through CEC is that part-time jobs and internships won’t be regarded as qualifying work experience to be eligible.

3) Federal Skilled Worker Class

Some students plan to complete their Master’s after a couple of years of work experience in their own country. While these students do have work experience, they do not qualify for the Canadian Experience class as the work experience was not located in Canada. Federal Skilled worker class is the easy pass for them as it allows them to apply for immigration through a score of 67 points that assesses their language ability and work experience. Any candidate can apply for immigration and fulfill the criteria of points. Following are the fields in which one needs to score the points to reach the criteria of a minimum of 67 points:

Federal Skilled Worker Eligibility Criteria:

  • Education 25
  • Language Proficiency 28
  • Age 12
  • Work Experience 15
  • Arranged Employment 10
  • Adaptability 10
  • Minimum Pass Score: 67

4. Provincial Nominee Programs 

Some selected provinces of Canada have specific immigration programs through which students can obtain a permanent residency in not just the area they completed their education but also in the one they wish to live ahead. This is quicker and easier than other immigration policies. A few of the provinces that offer these programs are:


International students and graduates who have permanent and full-time jobs are eligible to apply for OPINP to live and reside in Ontario’s province permanently. The candidate should have completed a two-year master’s program/ one year’s PGDM course/ or half of Canada’s studies to be eligible for the application. However, the candidate must apply for the program within two years after the study.

British Columbia

British Columbia accepts applications from all provinces. However, it requires the candidate to have a permanent job in British Columbia under B.C’s employer. This process is in alignment with the Express entry program. The eligibility requirement is that the candidate must have passed post-secondary education from any province of Canada. As well as, this process does not necessitate the candidate to have previous work experience.


International students of approved Alberta universities working on a post-graduation work permit are allowed to apply for the Alberta Opportunity Stream. Candidates need to show that they have been working in a field related to their study for at least 6 months. Also, Candidates from other provinces are eligible. However, they need to have a work permit.


The International Educational System is the immigration program for Manitoba through which students can apply for permanent residency as a part of the Manitoba provincial program. Not to mention, Students from the stream of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) have an advantage as the eligibility criteria do not necessitate the student to have work experience. Through this availability provided, an attempt is being made by the province to encourage the students to stay in the province with good employment opportunities. Based on the responses received from the STEM graduates for the PNP program, Manitoba has decided to open such opportunities for other courses too. The six-month work experience criteria are ruled out while applying through this process.


International students can use this program’s facility across any province who wishes to get a pr in Saskatchewan. However, the candidate must have graduated from a Canadian or a Saskatchewan post-secondary institution. The criteria for both categories are different.

1. Graduates from any Canadian University:

  • Should have a valid degree from any of the Canadian universities, which must have a duration of at least 8 months.
  • Must have a post-graduation work permit.
  • Must have a paid experience of at least 6 months in your related field of study.
  • Should have a job offer from a Saskatchewan employer.

2. Graduates from Saskatchewan post-secondary institutions:

  • Should have a valid degree from any of the Saskatchewan post-secondary institutions.
  • Must have a post-graduate work permit.
  • Should have a job offer from a Saskatchewan employer.
  • Must have 6 months of paid experience in Saskatchewan.

Nova Scotia

Entry through the Nova Scotia Provincial Nominee Program is comparatively more tricky than other programs’ eligibility criteria. The candidate is expected to have 12 months of work experience in the province. This program focuses on international students from China, India, and the Philippines. It helps them study the course as well as earn a living simultaneously through the program. It also provides opportunities to develop work skills through offering internships as well as organizing workshops.

• Prince Edward Island (PEI)

To be eligible for the Prince Edward Island immigration program, the candidate must have completed education from PEI post-secondary education institutions and must have a job in Prince Edward Island.


This program is for students who have recently graduated and have a job offer from an employer in Newfoundland. The students must have completed at least half of their education from any University in Canada and have a work experience of 6 months at least under the employer of Newfoundland.

5. Atlantic immigration policy

The Atlantic immigration policy opens the door for international graduates to the provinces such as Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and Labrador, New Brunswick, and Prince Edward Island. The candidate should have completed a valid degree from the Atlantic province and completed a year’s experience in the field of study. Another criterion peculiar to this program is that the candidate must have scored 4 in the Canadian language benchmark exam. The candidate must have also stayed in the province for at least 16 months or more.

6. Quebec international

This program is for students who are equipped with the French language. The student must have completed a valid course or degree from Quebec and must have proficiency in the French language. Likewise, it doesn’t require work experience to apply for Permanent Residency with French Language Certification.


Furthermore, from the procedures mentioned above, it is evident that the methods differ based on province, and specific eligibility criteria need to be fulfilled for every student. Thus, while choosing the easiest accessible option, one should consider aspects such as the province from where the education was completed, where you want to work, and where you want to reside!

Share :

error: Content is protected !!
Scroll to Top