Canadian Higher Education System

If you are thinking of going to Canada for Higher Education, you are looking forward to taking your next step, and having so many questions in your mind, you have come to the right place! We will try to answer all your unanswered questions through our blog! Initially, we will try to give an insight into a few basic questions about Canadian Higher Education System that you might have in your mind. 

Canadian Higher Education System

The Canadian higher education system consists of two levels – universities offer Bachelor\’sBachelor\’s, Master\’sMaster\’s, and Doctorates, and the colleges provide vocational diploma programs, and Bachelor\’sBachelor\’s programs.

The primary study option available for a graduate student after completing a Bachelor\’sBachelor\’s degree is a Masters\’sMasters\’s degree. A Master\’sMaster\’s degree is usually a 1-2 year\’s duration program awarded by a university that involves taught coursework, research leading to a thesis, or a combination of the two. 

Colleges offer graduate certificate and diploma programs – these would involve a certain number of credit courses and supplement an undergraduate degree, oriented towards development and upskilling for career advancement. In some instances, a Graduate diploma may be a requirement to advance to a Master\’sMaster\’s program.


Canadian universities generally offer two major intakes in a year – fall and winter, and an additional summer intake for limited programs and universities. At the same time, Colleges in Canada offers Fall, Summer, and Winter session in a year. Students have the flexibility to commence their studies in whichever intake suits them, which may depend on specific factors like course availability.

a) Fall: commences in September

b) Winter: commences in January

c) Summer (limited programs/universities only): commences in April-May

English Language Requirements:

All the academic programmers in Canada are taught in English. Non-native English speakers will be required to provide proof of sufficient proficiency in the language to be considered for admission. 

The preferred international language test accepted by Canadian Institutions is IELTS. Every university/program sets its own minimum required score, which usually does not dip below 6.5 overall with no individual band score below 6.0.

Not only by the universities/colleges but IELTS is also recommended by Student Direct Stream, i.e., the accelerated visa process facility available for students from certain countries, including Bangladesh.

However, other international language tests may also be considered, including TOEFL, PTE, and Duo lingo tests.

Share :

error: Content is protected !!
Scroll to Top